What you will need:
4 apples , peeled, cored, and cubed small (northern spy or Granny Smith)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
water , to mix
1 tablespoon water (to make an egg wash)
8 teaspoons rolled oats
8 teaspoons coarse sugar (or sugar in the raw)
Steps to yummy goodness:
1) Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
2) FILLING: mix all filling ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
3) CARAMEL: Heat caramel ingredients over medium heat; Bring to boil, stirring constantly; Let boil for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
4) DOUGH: Mix the flour and oil together in a bowl, and mix in just sufficient cold water to make a firm (but not sticky) dough. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Then roll out each into a 5-6″ disc.
5) ASSEMBLY: Place 1/8th of apple filling onto center of each dough round. Fold up edges of dough up towards the center, making a cup around the filling (you could use a jumbo muffin tin for this too). Brush with eggwash.
6) To each blossom, sprinkle 1 tsp of rolled oats followed by a drizzle of caramel topping into tops of apple filling. Follow with a light sprinkle all over with sugar in the raw.