What you will need:
* 2 pounds littleneck clams
* 2 Tbs. butter
* 1 large jalapeno pepper, minced (remove seeds for less heat)
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 cup beer
* 1 cup chicken stock
* 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
* juice of a lime
Steps to yummy goodness:
- Keep the clams on ice until you’re ready to clean and cook.
- Dump the clams into a large bowl and cover with room temp / cool water. Let sit for 20 minutes. Drain the water. (It’s going to be pretty sandy.) Add more water. Let them sit another 10. Drain the water.
- Add water one last time but now, add 1/2 tsp salt and let sit for 5 more minutes. Drain the water. Give the clams a good scrub and set them aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Once the bubbling settles, add the jalapeno and garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Add the clams to the pan and pour in the beer and stock. Toss around for a second because you’re going to have the urge. Now, cover and let them steam anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes, until they all pop open like little babies.
(If any don’t open, discard them!)
- Now, fish out the clams and arrange them in little bowls.
- Back in the pan, add the cilantro and lime juice. Let simmer and reduce for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the beery broth over the clams and baybaaaaaay.
Serve with crusty bread and a nice big green salad for dinner, I’ve even done with over pasta.
*This is what it took for 2 (for dinner) or 4 (for a snack) *