What you will need:
1/2 c. onion, chopped
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 lb. ground cooked meat, poultry or chopped shrimp
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 can water chestnuts, thinly sliced
2 c. cabbage, chopped
8 egg roll wrappers
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. water
2 c. oil for deep frying
Steps to yummy goodness:
- Saute onion in oil until soft. Stir in meat, garlic, soy sauce and cabbage. Cook until browned.
- Add water chestnuts and mix well. Drain and discard excess liquid. Cool.
- Mix cornstarch and water in small bowl. Spoon about 1/3 cup filling on lower half of each egg roll wrapper.
- Fold bottom edge of wrapper up to cover filling, fold left and right edges toward center. Moisten with cornstarch and water mixture. Roll up to seal.
- Deep fry a few at a time in hot oil, 375 degrees until golden brown (about 3 minutes); turn once during cooking.