What you will need:
1/2 cup dark balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup honey
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon grated ginger
3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
9 chicken legs + thighs or 16 drumsticks
up to 2 teaspoons cornstarch, if needed
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Steps to yummy goodness:
- For the marinade, combine all the ingredients (balsamic vinegar through red pepper flakes) in a large enough bag to fit the chicken pieces. Place the chicken in the bag, being careful not to poke any holes in the bag. Seal the bag and let the chicken marinade in the refrigerator overnight.
- Thirty minutes before baking, remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and line your largest baking tray with foil or a piece of parchment paper. Reserving the marinade, arrange the chicken, leaving a tiny bit of room between each piece to make sure you’ll be able to baste them properly later on.
- While the oven finishes preheating, prepare the glaze by boiling the marinade in a small pan or pot over medium heat until thickened. This should take 10 – 15 minutes. It if doesn’t become thick enough for your liking, add 1/2 a teaspoon of cornstarch at a time, up to two teaspoons. Be careful not to add too much cornstarch as the glaze will thicken a little as it cools. Set the glaze aside until later.
- Bake the chicken for 35 minutes (25 minutes for drumsticks) and then remove it from the oven. Spoon on or brush the marinade on the chicken and then return the chicken to the oven. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until a nice, dark crust has formed and the internal temperature in the thickest part of the chicken piece has reached 165 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds and parsley on the chicken just before serving.