What you will need:
1 1/2 cups sugar (or castor’s sugar)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cake flour, sifted
12 egg whites
1/3 cup warm water
1 vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
strawberries & raspberries (any sort of berry you want, those two are just the ones I prefer)
Steps to yummy goodness:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) If you have regular sugar: Blend the sugar for about 2 minutes until it is superfine ( if you have castors sugar, you can skip this step)
3) Sift half of the sugar with the salt the cake flour in a medium bowl and set the remaining sugar aside.
4) In a large bowl, use a whisk to thoroughly combine egg whites, water, orange extract, and cream of tartar for two minutes. Then, using a hand blender, slowly sift the reserved sugar into the eggs beating continuously at medium speed to achieve medium peaks
5) Once the eggs are whipped to medium peaks, sift the flour over the mixture, 1/4 a cup at a time. Repeat until all of the flour mixture is finished.
6) Carefully spoon mixture into an lined cupcake tray and fill 3/4 of the way up. Bake until the tops of the cupcakes are turning slightly golden, and you can insert a tooth pick between the liner and the cake and have it come out clean.
7) Cool completely & top with whipped cream and berries to your liking