What you will need:
2 cups packed basil leaves (56g or 2 oz)
1/2 cup packed parsley leaves (14g or 1/2 oz)
1 Tbsp slivered almonds or pine nuts
1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1 – 2 cloves garlic, sliced
4 – 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp lemon juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Steps to yummy goodness:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over moderately high heat and fill a medium bowl with ice and cold water.
2. Carefully transfer basil and parsley to boiling water using a large wire sieve and working in batches as needed, and allow to boil for just 15 seconds then immediately remove from boiling water and transfer to ice water (reserve water in pot to boil pasta if you’re making the pesto for pasta).
3. Allow to rest for about 5 seconds then transfer to paper towels to drain excess water (lightly dab water away don’t squeeze dry, lightly wet is best).
4. In a food processor combine basil and parsley, almonds, parmesan cheese and garlic and process mixture until well blended, while occasionally scraping down sides and bottom of processor.
5. Add in lemon juice, season with salt and pepper to taste, then with processor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil and process until blended, scraping down the sides and bottom of processor as needed.
6.Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.
* Side Note *
Use 4 Tbsp for thicker pesto and 6 Tbsp for slightly thinner consistency.