What you will need:
2 cups cold water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
2 garlic bulbs, cloves separated but still peeled
1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh thyme leaves
2 medium leeks, trimmed, halved, washed, sliced
4 medium red rascal potatoes, peeled, chopped
Steps to yummy goodness:
For the roasted garlic:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
2. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place garlic on prepared tray. Drizzle with half the oil. Roast garlic for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender.
3. Stand for 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Squeeze garlic from skins. Discard skins.
For the soup:
1. While garlic is in the oven roasting, heat remaining oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leeks, celery and 1 tablespoon thyme.
2. Cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add stock, 2 cups cold water and potatoes. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add garlic.
3. Remove from heat. Transfer to a food processor/blend or use an immersion blender. Process soup until smooth.
4. Stir in 1/2 cup cold stock and remaining thyme leaves.
5. Return to medium heat and cook for 2 minutes or until heated through.
6. Season with salt and pepper
7. Serve and enjoy
If you want this soup to be a little more “rich” and creamy feel free to use only 2 cups of stock and 1/2 cup of cream or milk.
Feel free to garnish with some sliced up bacon, a dollop of cream or sour cream
Cheddar biscuits are a great addition to this soup, a simple toasted baguette is just as yummy.