What you will need:
4c fresh cranberries (12oz bag)
6 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
2 firm Bosc or Anjou pears, peeled, cored, and diced
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1c golden raisins
1/3c crystallized ginger, finely chopped
1/2c hazelnuts, roughly chopped
Steps to yummy goodness:
1. In a large pot over medium heat, combine the cranberries, sugar, water, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and salt. Stirring frequently, bring to a boil, and cook until the cranberries pop open (It takes about 10 minutes) .
2. Turn the heat down to a simmer and stir in the apples, pears, onions, raisins, and ginger. Continue to cook, stirring often, until thick, (It takes another 10-15 minutes).
3. Remove from heat and toss in the hazelnuts.
4. Discard cinnamon sticks and cloves (if you can locate them).
5. Refrigerate in tightly sealed jars.
Unopened jars will be good for roughly this long.
Pantry : 1 week
Fridge: 1 month
Freezer: 6 months to a year (depending on the seal of the jar)
Opened jars will be good for roughly this long.
Fridge: 7 – 10 days
Freezer: 1 month
This chutney goes great on poultry, beef and even is yummy on top of ice cream or morning toast /English muffins/ bagels.