What you will need:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
4 and 3/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut (a little less than one 14-ounce package)
4 large egg whites
Steps to yummy goodness:
1. Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
3. In a large bowl using a hand held or stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat the egg whites, sugar, and vanilla together on medium-high speed until foamy and the sugar is mostly dissolved (normally takes about 2 minutes).
4. Fold in the coconut, making sure the coconut is evenly moistened.
5. Using a large cookie scoop, scoop 2-3 tablespoons of the batter and drop onto prepared baking sheet (2 inches apart). 6. Bake until lightly golden brown (about 20 minutes). Make sure to rotate the pan to ensure even baking. Otherwise some tops may burn.
7. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheets.
8. Cover macaroons tightly and store in the refrigerator for 5 days or 3 days at room temperature.
Macaroons freeze well, up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
These macaroons are easy to “fancy” up by dipping one side into chocolate or add a almond in the center then drizzle with melted milk chocolate. You can also drizzle / dip these with melted white chocolate as well, the possibilities all depend on your tastes