What you will need:
2 pie dough rounds, store bought brand of your choice
3 1/2 cups quartered strawberries, tops removed
3 1/2 cups rhubarb, diced
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup quick cooking tapioca
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Steps to yummy goodness:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Get one of your rolled out pie dough rounds to a pan, letting a bit of the crust overhang.
3. In a large bowl add strawberries, rhubarb, dark brown sugar, tapioca, lemon juice and salt.
4. Stir until the mixture is evenly coated.
5. Add filling to the prepared pie crust.
6. Cover the pie with the remaining rolled pie crust, cut all but 1/2 inch of the overhanging crust. Crimp the dough together to create a crust around the edges.
7. Cut 4 slits into the top of the pie.
8. Transfer pie to a baking sheet and brush the top of the pie with a little heavy cream.
9. Bake for 20 minutes and then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes. The pie is ready when the top is golden brown and some of the juices bubble out.
10. Remove pie from the oven and let cool completely before slice.
YES YOU MUST LET IT COOL COMPLETELY!!! If not it will run like crazy when you try to cut out a slice.
Feel free to keep the top simple or you can get fancy like I did doing a lattice style top and using extra pie crust dough to make blossoms. Cookie cutters come in handy too if you want to make stars, leaves, cut outs in a top pie crust…etc